President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky has submitted to parliament a bill proposing to extend the law on purification of power (lustration) to deputies and top-ranking officials who worked in Ukraine from February 23, 2014 until May 19, 2019.
The bill No. 10444 appeared on the Parliament’s website on July 12. The draft law was determined by the president as urgent.
According to the explanatory note to the bill, the extension of the lustration to the top officials who worked before the inauguration of Zelensky was offered because of ” their abuse of authority during performance of their official duties, avoidance of liability for actions aimed at their own enrichment”.
“The lustration process with its specific features is inherent to Ukraine. It lies in the fact that, according to the content of the lustration procedures laid down in the current Law of Ukraine On the purification of power, a significant part of the members of parliament, government, representatives of the executive, legislative, judicial branches in the defined ideology and criteria are subject to the Law On the purification of power,” says the explanatory note.
According to the bill, the effect of lustration is proposed to extend to persons holding the following positions:
• the president;
• The Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada and his deputies;
• People’s Deputy;
• Prime Minister, Minister and his deputies;
• Head of the National Bank;
• Head of the Antimonopoly Committee;
• Head of the State Property Fund;
• Head of the State Committee for Television and Radio Broadcasting of Ukraine, his first deputy, deputies;
• Head of the Security service and the head of the foreign intelligence;
• Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council and his deputies;
• Head of the Presidential Administration;
• Member of the High Council of Justice, the High Council of Justice, the High Qualifications Commission of Judges, the State Judicial Administration of Ukraine, and its deputies;
• Chief of the General Staff, heads of state enterprises, in particular those of the Ukroboronprom;
• Regional Head of the Prosecutor’s Office, Security service, Ministry of Internal Affairs, State Fiscal Service and others.
These individuals will be banned from participating in governance for 10 years.